Visa Process - Student Visas

Student Visas

All nonimmigrant foreign visitors wishing to enter the United States are required to have a visa stamp in their passports.. A visa is issued by the U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad. A visa is an "entry document" and cannot be obtained in the U.S. Students traveling to Greenville University should obtain an F-1 Visa.

Steps to obtain your I-20 form

Step 1: Complete the online application for your I-20.

Students will receive a link to this application via email. The application will ask for information needed to demonstrate the financial support necessary to attend the university. You will need to upload a copy of your passport (biographical page) to verify your legal name. If you do not have a passport, a copy of the birth certificate (in English) will be accepted. In-country applicants: Submit a copy of your current I-20 and/or visa.

The application includes a fillable international student financial form that the applicant should print. Both the student and the student’s financial sponsor (e.g., a parent or relative) must sign the form. You must scan and upload this form and your supporting documents, such as bank statements or scholarship award letters.

Note: Students seeking to bring dependents to the U.S. must provide documentation of sufficient financial resources to cover the expenses of the dependents, in addition to the student’s own expenses (add $5,000 if your spouse will accompany you and $4,000 for each child or dependent). Copies of dependents' passports and a copy of the marriage certificate are also required. 

Step 2: Attach a copy of the bank statement to the financial form.

Upload the financial form, along with a scanned copy of the original bank statement signed or stamped by a bank official that shows sufficient funds available. Both the student and the student’s sponsor must sign the form. You should upload scholarship awards letters (if any) at this time.

Make sure your scanned copies are readable. Copies that are blurred or difficult to read will need to be re-uploaded.

Note: You should bring the original forms and bank statements with you to your visa interview, and you must bring these with you to GU when you arrive to begin classes. Please note that your official transcripts and other academic records still need to be mailed to our office.

Step 3: Verify the information shown on the I-20 for accuracy.

Once verified, the I-20 will be sent via express mail to the address provided by the applicant. The student should bring this I-20, along with any other required documentation, to their visa interview at the U.S. Consulate or Embassy.

Step 4: Pay the SEVIS I-901 fee and make a visa appointment

After you receive your I-20 form and letter of admission from GU, you will need to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee and make a visa appointment at the nearest U.S. Consulate or Embassy.

For general information about the student visa application process, please visit the U.S. State Department. Instructions on how to apply for a visa are also available on the ISS website.

You may schedule your visa appointment up to 120 days prior to your program start date. Locate the nearest U.S. Consulate or Embassy. More information regarding the visa process, including average wait times, is available at the U.S. Department of State website.

Transfer Students: If you are currently in the U.S. on a student visa, you can transfer your immigration status to GU. Please visit the ISS website for specific instructions regarding how to transfer your SEVIS record to GU.

Financial Requirements and Forms

Greenville University follows all United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations that govern the financial eligibility of international students. International students are required to  provide proof of adequate financial resources to cover all their expenses, living and educational, for one academic year. Financial requirements change and are updated yearly.

Tuition & Fees

Students seeking F-1 visas

The application includes a GU International Student Financial Form that the applicant should print and upload when complete. The form will list the exact amount of funding required to finance your education and living expenses. This amount must be available to receive your student visa. Scholarships and other forms of financial support will be deducted from the amount required. Both the student and the student’s financial sponsor (e.g., a parent or relative) must sign the form. 

Along with the complete form, students must meet the International Financial Document Requirements.