New Student Guide - The Checklist


Class Registration FAQ

Click to show answer  + Expand all

Many community colleges have programs through which students can take college level classes at their high school. Greenville College will accept the credit, as long as the course appears on an official transcript from the college granting the credit. It is your responsibility to make sure that the official transcript is sent to us. We will treat the class as transfer credit.

The Academic Catalog details what courses are required for each major as well as what General Education (Gen Ed) courses are necessary for all students. You can also get information concerning necessary courses from your CORE 101 instructor, your major advisor (once you’ve declared your major), and/or the Associate Director for Academic Advising and Support (Erika Naes). 

View the Academic Catalog

That's great! If you haven't yet decided on a specific major, then you are in a great position to reap the full benefits of the liberal arts experience at GC. A schedule will be developed for you that is tailored to the interests you specified on your admissions application. Also, as part of your COR 101 class, you will take the StregnthsFinder, a test used to identify your individual strengths and talents. This will be helpful for all students, but especially for those who haven't yet chosen a specific field of study. 

CORE 101 is titled “Cornerstone Seminar: Foundations in the Liberal Arts Tradition”. CORE 101 serves both as our New Student Orientation experience, as well as an introduction to college level writing and college level work. Several sections will be available this fall. CORE 101 is the first in a series of four courses. You will take CORE 102: Introduction to Christian Thought and Life, CORE 302: Science and Christianity, and CORE 401: Capstone Seminar, at specific times during your time at Greenville College.

You must first be accepted for admission and pay the $200 Enrollment Deposit. We will begin registering deposit-paid students who have returned their Class Registration Worksheet around the middle of June.

Declaring a major varies depending on the student and the major. For some programs of study it is important that you begin taking your major classes before your junior year (music, CCM, natural sciences, education, etc.), because of their sequential nature. For many other programs, you can decide on the major your junior year and still graduate in four years. Your CORE instructor can advise you on how to set up a schedule that allows you to keep your options open if you are interested in several different programs or majors.

Your CORE 101 instructor also serves as your CORE advisor during the Fall semester. Once you declare your major, you will be assigned an advisor for that major and will be advised by him/her. If you haven’t yet chosen a major by the beginning of the Spring semester, then our Associate Director for Academic Advising & Support (Erika Naes) will serve as your advisor until you are prepared to declare your major.

Every first-time freshman has to take CORE 101. Transfer students are also required to take CORE 101. Students transferring with an Associate's Degree do not have to take CORE 101 or CORE 102—you will instead take CORE 301, which is designed to assist Junior-level transfer students with the transition to Greenville College.

Students who enter Greenville College with AP scores of 3, 4, or 5 in areas equivalent to GC courses will be given credit. The credit will appear on your transcript and be treated the same as transfer credit.

See the complete list of the tests and scores accepted »

Yes. The CORE 101 instructors are qualified to advise students in any major through the first semester of the student's freshman year. After that, if you have chosen a major, you will be assigned an advisor in that major department.


Days Hours Min Sec

Other Things

315 E. College Avenue
Greenville, Illinois 62246-1145
800.345.4440 / 618.664.7100
Contact Us © 2000-18 Greenville University. All rights reserved.
Greenville University is authorized to operate as a postsecondary educational institution by the Illinois Board of Higher Education
Accreditation | IBHE Complaint Form