News - Football Strikes in Final Minute to Complete Comeback

Football Strikes in Final Minute to Complete Comeback

Football Strikes in Final Minute to Complete Comeback

EUREKA, Ill. – The football team scored the go-ahead touchdown with 38 seconds left in the game and later blocked a 45-yard field goal try from the Red Devils as time expired, lifting the Panthers to a 28-27 Upper Midwest Athletic Conference victory over Eureka on Saturday afternoon.

The Red Devils carried a 13-0 lead into the second quarter, but the visitors bounced back with a pair of scores before halftime to collect their first lead of the day. Zibeon Washington scored his first of two rushing touchdowns on a 29-yard gain that put the exclamation point on a short 3-play drive, cutting the Eureka lead to 13-7 with 10:51 to play in the first half.

Eureka looked poised to get the score right back as they pushed all the way to Greenville 1, but a false start penalty, two stopped run plays and an incompletion forced the Red Devils to try for a 20-yard field goal. The Panthers blocked the try, ending Eureka's scoring threat midway through the quarter. A 40-yard completion from Chambers to Nathan Butler on the ensuing GC play from scrimmage set up Washington, who pushed forward for a 26-yard touchdown run and Greenville's first lead of the day, 14-13, with 6:01 left before halftime. The Panthers ultimately took the 1-point lead into intermission.

Greenville pushed the lead to 21-13 on its first series of the second half when Chambers broke free on a quarterback keeper around the right side for a 63-yard touchdown run. The Eureka deficit remained eight until a 1-yard touchdown run and unsuccessful two-point conversion left the Panthers in front 21-19.

A botched Greenville snap on a 4th-and-14 punting situation gave the Red Devils outstanding field position on their next series. Eureka capped its 7-play, 34-yard scoring drive with a 12-yard touchdown pass with just 5:44 remaining in regulation. Eureka's 2-point try was good giving the hosts a 27-21 cushion.

Greenville answered with its lengthiest scoring drive of the day, a 15-play, 75-yard possession that chewed 5:06 off the clock and culminated with the go-ahead score. One of the biggest plays of the series was a 29-yard completion deep in GC territory from Chambers to Shawn McKnight on 3rd-and-23. The Panthers later tied the game on Jacob Stull's 1-yard touchdown run with 38 seconds left and took the lead for good when Josh Frewin's extra point was good.

Eureka pushed their final possession all the way to the Greenville 27, but the Red Devils' 45-yard field goal try was blocked as time expired to secure Greenville's victory.

Stull had a game-high 109 rushing yards on 20 carries, while Chambers tacked on 66 rushing yards and 153 yards through the air on 9-for-18 passing. McKnight led the Panthers with three catches.

The Panthers (3-0, 2-0 UMAC) host Martin Luther on Saturday at 1 p.m. in Greenville.

This story was published on September 21, 2013

comments powered by Disqus
315 E. College Avenue
Greenville, Illinois 62246-1145
800.345.4440 / 618.664.7100
Contact Us © 2000-18 Greenville University. All rights reserved.
Greenville University is authorized to operate as a postsecondary educational institution by the Illinois Board of Higher Education
Accreditation | IBHE Complaint Form