Christian Higher Education Since 1892

Ayers Field Station - Winslow Observatory

1

Located at the field station is the Leon Winslow Observatory. The three part observatory is a facility that promotes the direct observation of stars and galaxies. First, long tables external to the building provide a platform for smaller, computer controlled telescopes that can be set, aligned and then programmed to locate virtually any position in the sky. The other two parts of the observatory are located in a 20' x 40' building which has a split roof so that the upper portion may be retracted to expose two larger telescopes to the sky. Under the fixed roof is a classroom.

Funding for this project came from the Catalyst Fund and Ayers endowment fund money.  The design and a major portion of the construction work on this building were provided by members of the Mathematics & Natural Science Division.  In the ensuing years this facility has been used extensively by the Physics Department as an astronomy laboratory facility for the general education astronomy courses.  It has also been made available to the area Astronomy club and has been used by the Boy Scouts in completing their Astronomy badge.